CBN Advises FG & States To Save For ‘Rainy Day’
The Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN) has frowned at what it described as “growing FAAC distribution” as oil revenue rise without a robust savings programme to wade-off future shocks from falling oil prices.
Briefing journalists at the end of the MPC meeting on Wednesday in Abuja, the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele said, the “MPC observed increasing monetization of oil proceeds as evident in the growing Federation Accounts Committee (FAAC) distribution, relative to the 2017 level of disbursements. The Committee urged the Government to initiate strong stabilization programmes and to freeze the growth in its aggregate expenditure and FAAC distributions in order to create savings; needed to stabilize the economy against future oil price related shocks.”
The CBN’s admonishment is perhaps based on the recent experience where Nigeria’s economy went into a terrible recession in second quarter 2016 principally because oil revenue dropped significantly. Because there was no buffer savings, the economy had to wait for the oil process to recover before it exited the recession, a situation the CBN is forewarning against.
On the key monetary policy rates, the CBN governor said all the nine members who attended the MPC meeting voted to retain all key rates to consolidate on the gains already recorded in the economy as changing positions may erode all that has been achieved in the past one year
On Nigeria’s reserve position, Emefiele said the external reserve is now at $46.699 bn as at March 29, 2018.
Connect With Us On Facebook,Instagram, Twitter & Subscribe to our Youtube Channel For Exclusive Updates
- Photos of Nigerian Couple feeding each other goes Viral
- [Music] Mhizta F – Sere (Prod. By Supremesounds)
- Diva Lil – Bad Gyal
- How does Cristiano Ronaldo’s bicycle kick rank among the greatest ever?
- See The Reason Cristiano Ronaldo Refuses To Get A Tattoo
- MUSIC: Kiss P – Mummy (PROD BY JAMZEAL)
- MUSIC: Dan B – You Get Money
- [NAIJA MUSIC] Tinkogeneral | All Tracks
- GOSPEL ALBUM: Evang. Shade Adekunle – GLORIOUS PRAISE |@Essenceloaded
- JayJay Okocha Biography and Networth
- #BBNaija: Mavis Ishanqueen slammed Cee-C for her behaviour in the house.
- MUSIC: Reekado Banks – Pull Up
- NEW ALBUM: TOPE ALABI – YES AND AMEN [12 TRACKS].
- GOSPEL MUSIC: TOPE ALABI – YES AND AMEN
- #BBNaija: “I Want to Marry Cee-C, I Need A Drama Queen In My Life” – Small Doctor
- GOSPEL MUSIC: DeztyBeat ft David Destiny – Too Much Love