Following the Presidential Directive from Acting President, Yemi Osinbajo on the overhaul of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), the Inspector General of Police, Idris Ibrahim gave 15 mandate on which SARS will be operating.
According to DailyTrust, the Police spokesman, acting DCP Jimoh Moshood on Tuesday disclosed that the reformed SARS outfit will now be known as Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS).
He explained how the new Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad will henceforth operate.
Below are fifteen key reforms noted in the statement:
* A new Commissioner of Police is appointed as the overall head of the FSARS nationwide with all SARS teams nationwide collapsed under FSARS.
* The address of complaints and allegations on human rights violations against some of the personnel of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) from members of the public in some parts of the Country.
* FSARS is under the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigations Department (FCIID) and is to operate under the Department of Operations, Force Headquarters Abuja.
The Commissioner of Police (FSARS) is answerable to the Inspector General of Police through the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Department of Operations.
* The FSARS will be intelligence driven, restricted to the prevention and detection of Armed Robbery, kidnapping and the apprehension of offenders linked to such offences only.
* New Commanders will be appointed for the FSARS across the country to exist and operate in the State and Zonal Commands under the Commissioner of Police (F-SARS) at the Force Headquarters, Abuja.
* A Federal SARS Commander of a Rank of Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) but not below Superintendent of Police (SP) will be in charge of FSARS in State and Zonal Commands across the Country.
* All Commissioners of Police as directed by the Inspector IGP are to comply with this directive with immediate effect and warn their personnel not to pose as SARS operatives.
* The IGP X-Squad and Monitoring Unit are mandated to go round the Commands and Police Formations nationwide to ensure strict compliance with the Presidential directives and apprehend any erring police officer.
* To ensure a strict adherence of the rule of law, a new Standard Operational Guidelines and Procedures, and code of conduct for all FSARS personnel has been set in place.
* Due regards to international human rights law and constitutionally guaranteed rights of suspects will be enforced in totality by the Commissioner of Police, FSARS.
* Setting of a Human Rights Desk Officers for FSARS in every State to take complaints from the public and forward same to Force Headquarters.
*Medical/Psychological evaluation of all FSARS personnel, redesigning of new uniform with identity name tag for all FSARS personnel throughout the Country will be done immediately.
* Henceforth, FSARS personnel will not perform Stop and Search duties except on distress call to respond to armed robbery and kidnapping offences only.
* A committee of Senior Police officers, Technical Consultants, Human Rights/Civil Society organizations (CSOs) has been setup to review the activities of FSARS under the new arrangement
308total visits,1visits today